Internships and Opportunities
MESAS is building a statewide network of career oriented professionals who work together to apply research on efficient and renewable infrastructure, heating, energy and ecosystems in support of Maine’s farmers, soils and ecosystems. We post internship and job opportunities here as the become available.
Social Media for Agriculture Internship
The Maine Sustainable Agriculture Society is hiring an Agriculture Research Assitant to focus who will focus on social media. Content development will prioritizes Maine’s agricultural legacies, soil production, and agricultural infrastructure and technology. The Research Assistant will work as part of a statewide coalition of farmers and researchers working to publish fact sheets on best practices for year round agriculture infrastructure in Maine. The position is designed for students and part time job seekers. Some personal vehicle use is required and will be reimbursed.
The Assistant will work with the Maine Sustainable Agriculture Society’s Education Director on aligning content with MESAS’ fact sheets and newsletters published by the Society.
The primary responsibility of the Assistant is to work with the Education Director to research, document, and articulate via photos, short videos, and social media the legacy of economic and environmental sustainability of small and mid-sized Maine farmers and their innovative infrastructure and engineering triumphs that show promise for statewide importance and implementation.
Specific duties include:
- Support for the program website and social media
- Researching peer-reviewed articles and agriculture bulletins
- Working collaboratively to meet program deliverables
- Editing and writing for website content and project publications
- Meet farmers, energy installers in the fieldwork and conduct interviews
This is a part time appointment with the expectation of 12-20 hours per week for 14 weeks.
Applicants should include a resume, cover letter and list of references (minimum 3) to Education Director, William Giordano at email@example.com. Applicants should include a resume, cover letter and list of references (minimum 3).
Agriculture Infrastructure Publication Assistant – 1 positions
The Maine Sustainable Agriculture Society is hiring a Year Round Agriculture Research Assistant to support the research and publication of fact sheets for best practices related to year round agriculture infrastructure in Maine. Additional research may include policy initiatives and development of sustainable agriculture resources for small and mid-sized farmers and food system entrepreneurs. Special attention is being placed on resources for businesses that define sustainability through a balance of social equity, profitability and meeting Maine’s statewide carbon reduction goals by 2030.
The Research Assistant will work with a team to publishing fact sheets based on the 2020 Sustainable Year Round Agriculture report published by the Society. The primary responsibility of the Research Assistant is to review the 2020 Sustainable Year Round Agriculture Report and work with the Education Director to refine key data and findings into 1-4 page fact sheets on best practices for heating and energy efficiency using renewable sources for Maine greenhouses.
Technical or design experience with greenhouse, heating, energy and utility systems helpful but not required.
Specific duties include:
- Working with Education Director to publish and distribute fact sheets
- Support for public release events including seminars and lectures
- Researching peer-reviewed articles, reports and food system bulletins
- Editing and writing for project publications and website
- Administrative Support for Program Deliverables for Fall 2020
Skill sets necessary for hire:
- Experience with Microsoft Office & Publisher, Google Docs
- Hands-on farm production experience, or career interest in food systems
- Excellent communicator
- Excellent writing skills
- Knowledge of Maine greenhouse production for agriculture and horticulture (not required)
- A knowledge of food production infrastructure and energy systems
- Social media, WordPress, Prezi and basic web publishing experience (not required)
- Experience with Adobe InDesign a plus (not required)
- Experience with WordPress web-based publishing (not required)
- Current enrollment in USM’s Food Studies Program (not required)
This is a part time appointment with the expectation of 12-20 hours per week for 14 weeks. For inquiries and to apply please e-mail Education Director, William Giordano at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants should include a resume, cover letter and list of references (minimum 3).